Gardening is one of the best hobbies there is. It is relaxing and it has so many great benefits. However, we cannot just plant some plants and call them a garden. It takes effort and expertise to create a perfect garden, but it is not such an unreachable, impossible goal for anyone. Everyone can have a perfect garden in their backyard but figuring out a few things such as what suits the best for your weather, what kind of soil to use for certain plants, etc.
And if you have stumbled upon this article, you can quickly learn many things that would help you make a great garden for yourself.
Can you grow flowers in the ground?
The short answer is yes; you can plant flower plants straight on the ground.
However, as we said, you have to consider some factors to get a perfectly healthy flower bed when planting on the ground.
However, most planters agree that some types of vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, broccoli, and onions are the best plants to grow on the ground directly.
Here is a list of 10 flower plants you can sow on the ground and what seasons you can start to plant them.
- Columbine – Autumn or mid-winter
- Pansy – Autumn or early spring
- Lupine – Early spring
- Sweet Pea – Late winter or early spring
- Poppy – Before the last frost in early spring
- Coneflower – Early spring or fall
- Moss Rose – After the last frost date
- Zinnia – After the last frost in spring
- Morning Glory – Late spring or early summer
- Common Sunflower – After the last frost in spring
Other than the specific set of conditions each flower plant needs to grow, there are preparations to be made.
You have to consider the bloom season for all the plants you grow. Choose a variety of flowers that blooms in different seasons, so you will have a garden that will be blossoming all year.
How to prepare the ground for planting flowers?
You need to prepare the ground before you start planting. A strong healthy foundation is the foremost secret to creating a lasting garden.
- You need to have healthy soil which is rich in nutrients for the plants. Nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium are some of the most important elements out of the 17 elements that are said to be essential for the growth of plants. You can use fertilizers to achieve this goal as well.
- A good pH is important for plants as well. A pH level between 6.5-6.8 is the ideal level of pH for growing.
- You need to create a good draining system for the flower bed or the area you have planned to plant. The type of soil available also plays a part in this. Water is essential for the growth of plants but it should not be too much or too little.
- Plants need air in the soil, especially soil that holds atmospheric nitrogen. You can improve this condition in soil by adding organic matter to the soil like compost. The ideal soil for planting consists of about 25% air.
What is the best month to plant flowers?
Even though different plants thrive in different weathers and therefore should be planted at different times of the year, generally most flowers should be planted after the last frost date. The last frost date changes from region to region, so you will have to determine that according to your location.
Many gardeners agree that spring is a better time to start planting. The long days in the spring will plants more exposure to the sun. This will pave the way for plants to grow more quickly. The increased temperature also helps with the growth of the plants.
Perennial plants however will do well when planted in spring, early fall in the North, or late fall in the South.
Do I need potting soil to plant flowers?
Using potting soil ensures many benefits for your plants. It has the right structure and nutrients, which are essential for healthy plants. There are three main functionalities good potting soil will provide you.
- Retain moisture and nutrients around the plant’s roots
- Provide enough air for growing roots
- Support the plants, providing anchorage for the roots
There are some tips you should follow when choosing a good potting soil.
- Choose light and fluffy potting soil for the containers.
- Potting soil that consists of peat moss, pine bark ad perlite, or vermiculite is the best potting soil.
- When adding fertilizer, use a form of ‘starter charge’ or slow-release formulation’.
- Some potting soil use treatments to retain moisturizer. Therefore, be careful when watering plants. You will have to adjust the watering patterns accordingly.
Basic peat moss potting soil works fine for many annual plants but you will have to choose specialty mixes for Orchids and Succulents.
How to prepare the soil for flowers?
Other than what we mentioned earlier in the article on how to prepare the ground, there are things you should do to prepare the soil for planting.
- Loosen the tight clay. Clotted soil will not provide good air or water for the plants.
- Add organic matter to the sandy soil. It will help the plants absorb more water easily.
- Add nutrients to the soil. You can either use fertilizers or things like hummus.
- Allow air to be mixed with the soil. You can work the soil. Tilling the ground at least 15 inches will also help immensely.
What’s the easiest flower to grow?
Some flowers are much easier to grow than others. There are flowers you just have to plant and they do the growing all by yourself.
Here is a list of those kinds of flowers, so you can get started with gardening without much effort and still have the most beautiful garden for yourself.
- Sweet Peas
- Nigella (Love in A Mist)
- Eschscholzia (Californian Poppy)
- Hardy Geranium (Cranesbill)
The Bottom Line
A flower garden in your backyard can be something you can be most proud of. It might take some effort to grow it into an ever-blossoming piece of heaven but once you have achieved it, there is no pleasure like watching flowers in the plants you have grown.